The Institute was founded in 1931 by an act of love and solidarity of Senator Gerolamo Gaslini, who wished to honour his daughter, who passed away in her infancy. Gerolamo Gaslini wanted to ensure that children receive only the best possible type of treatment based on the most innovative research.
Gaslini Children’s Hospital started its activity way back in 1938; In 1959 the Institute was formally recognized as a Scientific Institute for Research and Healthcare, thanks to its substantial and continuous activities carried out with the constant support of the Foundation. This title has been confirmed time and time again through the years.
All paediatric and surgical specialties are available at the Institute, which also houses scientific laboratories, as well as affiliated university departments, many of which have their own related graduate schools and post-graduate specialisation courses.
Seventy-years after its foundation, the Institute is an international reality that is looking forward to its own renovation and expansion, which will allow it to keep up its ability to attract patients from around the world towards highly specialised care, and support more advanced basic and clinical-translational research